Friday, September 25, 2009

Scones



Over the years I have found great pleasure in the book If Tea Cups Could Talk by Emilie Barnes. It is from the pages of this book I found inspiration to host teas for the simplest reasons. Treasured friends, a comforting tea for a hurting child, a milestone tea, or even a bribe tea. When one of my daughters was considering going off to college I often made her tea and scones. I'd say something to the effect, "if you go to college close to home, I'll make you tea and scones". She did and I often made her tea and her favorite scones for her study time. She chose a University close enough to home to commute for other reasons than my tea and scones but, it was fun to bride her and we do have that special memory. She is far from home now. Japan. We are looking forward to tea and scones together at Christmas. O the joy!

A simple cup of tea can bring comfort or celebration. I have found beauty in fixing up a tray with china cup and saucer, the tiniest spoon that can be found, cute little containers to hold sugar and milk, a tiny sprig of flower a folded cloth napkin and a stemmed glass with fruit. Usually things that I already have on hand. It is amazing what you can add to that little tray when your imagination takes over. Maybe a note card with a verse or poem or even a funny cartoon. It is most always met with big eyes and an exclamation "For me?". (shh ... boys like them too)

Thrift stores, auctions and yard sales are wonderful places to find treasures for your tea tray. Often people get rid of beautiful sets that have missing pieces or there is only one piece of something beautiful and that will be the piece that you treasure. You will be pleased at how it will add to your collection.

I found my silver tea service at an auction for twenty dollars. Full, with two tea pots, or is one a coffee pot?, sugar and creamer and a beautiful large tray with comfy big handles. Those odd little pieces of stemware were so cheap the price has escaped me. I like using that miniature teacup and saucer my Aunt Carol gave me to hold sugar or as you can see here sugar packets. I would even put a treasure in there, like mints, a favorite candy or nuts if it were going on a tea tray. I might use the stemware for jam or butter. I would enjoy hearing how you set up your Tea Tray. Following is the scone recipe that I use. It is from the Emilie Barnes Book. Tell me what you think.


Plain Scones
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
Lightly beaten eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in 6 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in center and pour in buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk use regular milk. Mix until dough clings together and is a bit sticky--do not over-mix. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and shape into a 6-8 inch round 1 1/2 inches thick. (do this by hand not with a roller) Quickly cut into pie wedges. The secret of tender scones is a minimum of handling. Place on un-greased cookie sheet, being sure sides do not touch each other. Brush with egg for a shiny, beautiful brown scone. Bake at 425 for 10-20 minutes or until light brown. Of course you can add to your plains scones. Chocolate chips, blueberries, nuts, cinnamon, apples, currents, ginger, orange or cranberries. I have even glazed scones for the sweet tooth lover.
Enjoy!

"Commit your way to the Lord. Trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."
Psalm 37:5
NKJV

2 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love scones but don't make them often enough! I agree that thriftstores and yardsales are wonderful places to find those pretty things that make tea/coffee service extra special!

Manuela

Lady Katherine said...

This was a lovely post, about your scones and daughter! I just happen to visit tonight, come join me March 9th with this lovely post for Tea Time Tuesday.